sandy mack

My journey with cancer.

2nd Cycle of Treatments



Julieanne, Me and Katie during my treatment
Me with my frozen mitts! (This could be the new Hamburger Helper Advertisement)

I'm here in the treatment center starting my second round of chemotherapy. Julieanne, Katie, and Steve came with me today (which is making the treatment go so much better). They are helping me pass the time while I endure the dreaded frozen mitts. For those of you who haven't heard about this particular excruciating experience--- I have to wear frozen mitts on my hands and my feet for one hour to prevent damage to the nerves in my fingers and toes. It is not a whole lot of fun but the time seemed to go faster today. This is the first treatment of my second cycle of chemo. In all I will have six 3 week cycles of chemotherapy treatment. The first week of each cycle involves premeds(benadryl, steroids and nausea medicine to help counter the effects of the chemo), 3 different chemo drugs, and iron. This treatment takes about 5 to 7 hours. It also produces the most side effects, but God has blessed me with minimal side effects. The following 2 weeks in each cycle only take 1 to 2 hours. They are painless with very few side effects. My treatments take place every Tuesday. So Tuesday is a day each week that I especially covet your prayers! I have 4 treatments behind me now with 14 to go. Yea!!! And my doctor tells me that she believes the tumors are shrinking so the medicine is doing its job. Of course, I know that it is God who is shrinking those tumors! Praise Him, Praise Him, Praise Him!!!!
I want to thank everyone who showered me with hats and scarves! I now need outfits to match all of the cute hats so I am in the process of convincing Steve to take me shopping! Just kidding! To my delight on Sunday morning many of the women wore hats to worship to encourage me on my first Sunday without hair! It is such a blessing to be part of an incredible christian family and to feel all of the support and love we have received since my diagnosis. Through all of your prayers God has given me such peace and I know that He is carrying me through it all! To God be the glory!
I will try to keep this blog updated with specific prayer requests and prayers of thanksgiving and just general updates on my cancer and the treatment of it. Thanks for reading this and please comment if you have the time.

25 comments:

CC said...

Sandy,

I am so encouraged by the way you have handled this. It truly shows that you know God is in control of your life and he will always take care of you. We love you and are so blessed to have you as a part of our church family.

Cummings family

Anonymous said...

Those are the cutest mitts I have ever seen! And what a beautiful smile - you and the girls. Your positive spirit and God's Holy Spirit will get you through this.
-Marsha Dowell

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing with us. Your faith brings Glory to our God. I love you!!!!!!! Lisa

Anonymous said...

Sandy,
I'm praying for you this week and especially this weekend. I hope you feel well as you take the girls to school. Have fun!

Lori

Barbara Dillard said...

What a great picture! We continue to lift you up. God is so good - he can fix anything.

Love you,

Barbara & Donnie

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing with us. We love your family and thank God for the blessing you have been to us all. We will keep lifting you up.
Love,
Roxie

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Your faith is amazing. I love you, sister. You are beautiful! Kelli

Anonymous said...

Sandy I am so happy to have this way of keeping up with you and being able to pray for you. You are absolutely beautiful in these pictures. Thank you for sharing with us during this time - I'm going to learn a lot from you. We love you and your family!!!! Susie Allen

Mimi said...

Hi, Sandy--I've been thinking about and praying for you. It's so great to read the update and see the pictures. I'm enjoying Washington and all the newness--I've made several "Metro mistakes." I'll call.

Robin said...

Sandy,

I am encouraged by your faith and energy...thank you for sharing your journey with the rest of us! May God be glorified through your experience and may He give you all the desires of your heart.

Blessings,
Robin Kernodle

Brenda Bailey said...

Sandy,
My big sister! You look beautiful and I can tell by your smile you are keeping a positive outlook. I see Steve and the kids are taking good care of you. I wish I could be there. I miss you, and I love you and will always be with you in spirit, you are always in my prayers.
Your faith with lift you up and get you through this hard time. Just remember you have so many people praying for you especially on Tuesdays.
Your little sis, Brenda

Anonymous said...

Praying for you today Sandy as you go for your treatment. You are in our hearts and prayers every day. We love you and your family. Susie Allen

Anonymous said...

I know that these Tuesdays are a challenge. I am thinking of you today.

Love,
Barbara Dillard

Anonymous said...

Hope that today was a good day and that the chemo along with God's guidance continues to heal your body.
We missed seeing you at worship on Sunday. But you were in our family prayers, of course.
Ronnie Webb had the sermon, and other than getting loopy from constantly turning to see everyone, he did a great job.
We still giggle about Steve's comment that one week about all the elders are gone, so what do we want to do. :-)
The Stevens are headed off to Harding tomorrow to take Amy to college, so keep them in your prayers.
We are bringing you to God's attention EVERY day, so keep your spirit UP!
Love, Marsha & Sid

Anonymous said...

Sandy,

You are beautiful. What great smiles. Your faith is amazing and will see you through this. We love you and are blessed to know you and your family.

The Days

Patty Harshaw's Blog said...

rSandy,
I just wanted to let you know that there will be a lot of prayers going up from here in California. I have felt so very sad to hear of your cancer. Thanks for your blog...so we can check on you. Sharon's daughter also has a blog that you might want to read. It is mccordfamilytx.blogspot.com. I will send your blog address to her too...She knows how bad cancer is...but she is an inspiration to many people thru her blog. I love you and your family and will be praying for you all.
Love, Aunt Patty (pharshaw@verizon.net) send me your email as the one I have for you doesn't work.

Anonymous said...

Sandy,
Yes -you ARE good at this blogging!
You are writing from your heart and letting us know what is real in your life right now and how the power of prayer changes things. I knew you would be a beautiful baldy. It is always great to hear your voice and how positive you are, but this will be fun also as you take this journey. I love you and will continue to spread the good news about how the many prayers are blessing you! You are the blessing to others today and everyday.
Nancy

Anonymous said...

Sandy...
This is coming to you from Lubbock - David & Karen
Know that you and the family are in our prayers; and especially on Tues. when you are going thru your treatments.
Yes, God is good and HE is always there to comfort, support, encourage and heal.
We Love You!! :<)

Anonymous said...

You're in my thoughts today...can't wait to see you this weekend and give you a hug! You're doing great and you are an encouragement to so many. Kelli

Anonymous said...

Hi Sandy,
Mother had told me about your cancer a couple of weeks ago. When I was in the bank this morning I asked about you and they updated me and gave my your blog address so I could get all your news. I am so glad that your treatments are going well. You and your girls are BEAUTIFUL, they look just like you!!!! (Your boys are very good looking too) I know that your faith will help you deal with the treatments and that your wonderful family will take good care of you. Please tell all of them "hi" for me.
Love,
Denise Coulter

Anonymous said...

One thing about it, it cannot be said that the Macks have a boring life, something new all the time. I am so glad to read that the chemo is doing its job and the doctors are seeing that God is truly in control and that you acknowledge that in everything. We are continuing to say prayers for all of you.
Way to go Will Mack........good job
Love You,
Dannes

Anonymous said...

Dear Sandy,
Dannes gave me your blog address, and you bless me with your strength and confidence in the midst of your trials. You are an inspiration and are loved by so many!! You continue to be in my daily thoughts and prayers.
Karen showed me Katie's engagement pictures (on Facebook); what an exciting time for your family -- congratulations!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hello Sandy and Mack Family,
It's Monday night and Tomorrow is Tuesday again. My prayers are for you and yours. We know God is
blessing you and yours.You are
special,not only to God, but all of us. Thanks for keeping us posted. My internet has been down, so it's good to get a good report.
My congratulations are in order for Katie and Blake. He looks like a keeper to me.
I am proud of Will- also Ryan and Julieanne.
May God Continue to BLESS YOU
Love
Wilma Lawrence

Linda said...

Tomorrow is your birthday.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY SANDY!!!
You continue to be in our prayers.
Love,
Linda and Laura