sandy mack

My journey with cancer.

September 14, 2008

Hello! This is Steve. We have had an eventful last couple of weeks and Sandy has not had a chance to post an update, so I volunteered.

Sandy started her third round of treatment on September 2nd (almost half way through!). The treatment went well with the dreaded frozen mitts being handled in a heroic way by Sandy. The week following was an uncomfortable one for Sandy due to periodic difficulty with nausea and other stomach related maladies. Also her legs were sore which we attribute to the injection she received on the 3rd, which encourages the production of the important white blood cells.

Katie and Blake came home for the weekend of the 6th and 7th to begin the wedding planning. But first on Saturday morning, we attended Will's cross country meet at SW High School in San Antonio. He is running on the varsity for the Boerne Champion Chargers. The Chargers won the meet with Will running a terrific race finishing 21st overall (I estimate that there were around 150 runners in the race) and 5th for the Chargers.

The afternoon was spent visiting a possible location for the wedding. We had fun traveling together and talking about the blessed event. On Sunday, Ryan joined us for lunch after church. We enjoyed the traditional Mack Sunday lunch of brisket, potato casserole and green beans. We missed having Julieanne for the lunch, but if she had been there we would not have had enough! Adding Blake to our table means that we have three growing boys (plus an old hungry one) and things just don't stretch as far.

Sandy had her treatment of herceptin on Tuesday the 9th and then on Wednesday the 10th she met with the general surgeon who will take care of the next step in the cancer battle. When Sandy is finished with her chemo treatments, the surgeon will remove the remaining tissue to be sure we have rid Sandy of any remaining cancer cells. Dr. Tramer was very thoughtful and professional, spending over an hour visiting and examining Sandy. He was very encouraging indicating that the tumor had pretty well "melted" away with the chemo treatments and that he could not even easily determine that a tumor was ever there! Thank the Lord!

On Friday I had a minor surgical procedure performed on my ailing left knee and Sandy spent the day looking after me. The knee is sore and stiff, but should improve quickly.

On Saturday, we traveled to Ingram to watch Will and the Charger CC Team easily win another meet with Will finishing 10th. He is having a good season and improving each week.

Our family is grateful for the continuing encouragement and prayers that are being offered to and for us. The Lord has been good to us during this period while we take one step at a time and resolutely march our way toward the finish. We know that God is in control and will care for us. Sandy is a beautiful example of faith. She encourages me with her trust in the Lord and confidence in his healing power.

7 comments:

Patty Harshaw's Blog said...

Wonderful news!
God is Great! You will continue to be in my prayers! Love you all,
Aunt Patty

Robin said...

So awesome to know that the tumor is shrinking and that the chemo is doing its work! Thank you for the update. May God continue to bless your growing family.

Love,
Robin Kernodle

p.s. Mom says "Hi!" and that she wishes she could figure out how to leave a comment. :)

Anonymous said...

Sandy, you are such an inspiration and I admire your faith and strength. Rob and I will keep you and the entire Mack family in our prayers.
Best Wishes,
Rob and Emily Simmons

Anonymous said...

Sid & I continue to keep you in our prayers; specifically that He will heal your body and remove all cancer. Keep your spirit strong in the Lord.
And it looks like you will be busy planning a wedding! What a wonderfully positive event to focus on.
Love, Sid & Marsha

Brenda B said...

Sandy, Thanks for having us in your home for the week. We really needed to spend time with you even though we had our issues with Daddys knee and my back, nothing seems to get you down.
You are still my beautiful big sister even without hair. Your spirits are high and you inspire me to have the faith that shines through you. I hope your Drs visit goes well and the surgery can be moved up. Don't forget if you need me I'm just a phone call away. I love you.
Lil sis,
Brenda

Patty Harshaw's Blog said...

Sandy, I continue to pray for you and your family. May God bless you. I enjoy hearing about Will and his acheivements...our Dale was good in track meets and cross country as well as tennis. This happened after he broke his back in football, which he discontinued. Also the planning of the wedding. I send my love for many happy days ahead of you.
Love, Aunt Patty

sheila said...

Sandy and family...Paige told me about your blog. I am so glad that I can keep up with how things are going with you all...I am praying for a speedy recovery from the surgery and that you guys have a wonderful Christmas. Love and prayers.
Sheila